Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Eastercon, Eastern-con

The pre-Eastercon reading went well. Finally did an smaller extract from the Dee 007 prelude to Primed. Now I'm thinking maybe I should see if I can make it a full novel in its own right again. Plot inspiration may be helped by some research on my reading shelf.

I was lucky, as I seem to be these days, to get a ticket to Eastercon here in Glasgow. Much more relaxed and less hectic than Worldcon was last August. Strange how things have not changed much for me though. Still, the whole weekend was highlighted by me walking down the stairs from the mezzanine into the hotel bar, at about lunchtime on Friday, while a rather stunning woman, wearing green, was coming up them. She gave me the most wonderful smile (which threw me off guard). Turned out to be Justina Robson, one of the guests of honour. Now I bet she's married and confused me for someone else... ;-)

Anyway, started thinking about next years con, but I may be in Japan for a Kyudo tournament, and off course Worldcon in 2007 is also in Japan. Started looking at prices - Con £100 membership (very reasonable considering a taxi from Narita airport to Yokohama will be £150, think I'll try the train), Flight £700 (if it costs the same as ths year, can't book next year yet, damn it), Accomodation £550. And that is without any special room rates. So about £1400 quid before everything else, so budget about £2000. Experience of a lifetime - Priceless. But going to Japan twice in one year - better start saving, hmm and maybe working. Wonder if I can get a book finished and picked up in time for Aug 2007 publishing?

No comments: