Monday, June 27, 2005

The Dark V Returns

Finally made it to see Batman Begins. Sunday afternoon, blazing sunny, me, alone, in a cinema. I couldn't afford the ticket but I went anyway.

Easily the best film this year. Easily the best super-hero film full stop (Sorry Spidey). They completely nailed the character, the motives, and I loved the training and becoming. I mean Batman _does not_ kill people directly. A point so totally missed from the previous films. I mean never mind that it reduces your villain count for sequels he just doesn't do it and the deaths of Joker and Penguin etc were always accompanied with howls of rage from me. (Okay I only really know Batman and Spiderman from the cartoons rather than the comics but there were still things I knew to be wrong). I also loved the slightly subtle fact that Bats does some actual, you know, detecting. Rather than having super-villains crashing a Bruce Wayne gala all the time.

I began to think that V from Vendetta is the kind of character Ras Al Ghul (is he really immortal?) would rather Bats was. And how he is really the only British super-hero; attack the government not the criminals as its their fault the criminal system exists in this fascist dystopia anyway. And this is especially poignant when you realise both Bats and V are terrorists.

No comments: