Thursday, September 27, 2007

Stone

Having completed the first third of the new novel at the weekend (my original holiday plan was to complete the second third - destiny takes its own course), I've forged onto another quick side project that has been gestating for a few weeks.

Unlike many other stories I don't want to say too much about it as there is, perhaps, a mystery or a twist (we'll know better when I finish it). Suffice to say it is currently called Stone and concerns a young woman's problems getting close to people. I don't think I've written exclusively from a woman's perspective before. At first I was surprised by the 'voice' - it felt different to my recent writing - but have got more comfortable with it afk. And, inevitably, it has all started to come together now the keys are depressing.

On the subject of which, I have received a rather swiftly delivered Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. I dropped a book on my trusty old MS 'gull-wing' style ergonomic split board, which has lasted me three PCs (it wasn't even a USB board!). Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet. The dropping of the book was precipitated by my moving a lamp, usually used as a bookstop on the shelf over my desk, in order to see if there was a footprint in the dust on my window ledge. You see I thought, but wasn't sure, that someone had broken into my house on Saturday afternoon. (I came home, the alarm was going, the internal doors were ajar and the back window was thrust wide open - they had been firmly shut when I left, and there were some muddy marks on my front bedroom floor. But nothing appeared out of place or missing, like the MP3 player sitting on the sofa in the backroom.) Anyway, satisfaction bringing the cat back, I found a footprint and it wasn't mine. The next morning I found one on the front window itself, that I had washed earlier in the week. So I figure the alarm spooked my burglar when they got into the hall and they scarpered out the back window. Nevertheless, my habit of leaving the windows at the front open, to prevent damp on the walls, is now cured. What I'll do now about the winter mildew is another matter.

September has been fun, hospitalised, burgled, and got a year older to underwhelming recollection (although my star of a sister did pull out all the stops), and still a few days left.

No comments: