Saturday, July 01, 2006

Saddle Up

Much of my work seems to occur at just the right time that a similar wave crops up in the media in general. Enoch's Vault takes Biblical mysteries and the whole 'alternate history' research that we see in The DaVinci Code et al. Primero, is an alternate Bond/spy story, just as there is an upsurge in these.

I'm not claiming to be in tune with the Mode of the Monde, in fact this is the problem. Someone, somewhere, decided two years before that these things would be good to publish, or make into film. So you need to either make the wave or be in the right place at the right time.

I'm back working on my misunderstood magnum opus Adocentyn. There are, I guess, the usual fantasy moments in the book, and they'll be tinged with that religious faith quest thing I seem to do, that yearning for touching the divine. I mean, it is a self styled Gnostic parable after all. Will this be good enough/ different enough? I dunno. El seems to think so and she has a gravity of opinion that outweighs most.

Here's a bit I wrote recently that I really love:

The stairwell was an odd mixture of damp, mouldy patches, sometimes with disturbing fungal growths clinging to the wall, and dry, arid regions duned with dust. Both of them made my nose itch and I fought the urge to sneeze. I didn’t want to breathe in whatever might be floating in the air.

Just as curious, in these regions, were the creatures that inhabited them - spiders with tiny bodies and long legs that made them as big as my hand skittered over the deserts, while fat, anaemic slugs writhed amongst the mildew. I imagined a polarised war between these two forms of decay and prey. Dry rot versus wet corruption.

I don’t know, now, if I realised that same war was waging within me.

No comments: